Not all the flames went the direction they were supposed too!
The Balerion engine is 3D printed from Inconel 718, using a LOX/kero propellant combination and produces 10,008.5 N (2250lbf) of thrust. USCLPL has partnered with the Kyushu Institute of Technology (Kyutech), Japan to provide the engine for their winged reused sounding rocket project #13.
You can read more of the engine technical details here.
Slightly off-topic today, but every time I see this picture I instantly think of the engineering that has gone on to get to this point, amazing!
Video Caption: Hi Rocketeers! This episode focuses on the parts of the pintle, and getting them ready for drawings.
Parker O-Ring Guide: https://www.parker.com/Literature/O-R…
Charlie Garcia, an MIT student is on a quest to build a liquid rocket engine and wants you to follow along! Starting a video series, you can learn and follow his progress and see what it actually takes to achieve fire!
Video Caption: I explain how I chose very high level parameters for my rocket engine I’ll be working on over the summer.
Video Caption: In this video, I talk about how my friend and I conducted a static fire testing of his Liquid Oxygen and Kerosene rocket engine. We tested it at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry site in the Mojave Desert in Southern California. I give some insight into the entire AeroAstro program (Course 16) at MIT, talk about Unified Engineering, our flight competitions, as well as dealing with the stresses of college. I talk about how to stay in the proper mental state to navigate college as well. Please share this video if you liked it!
SEDS UCSD conducted the second successful test fire of their 3D printed Ignus-II bi-propellant rocket engine, running it through its full duration burn of 11 seconds. Producing ~800lbf of thrust and fueled by liquid oxygen and kerosene, Ignus-II is the 2nd generation engine of its namesake and will power the team’s Vulcan-II rocket to 45,000 ft.
Video Caption: Colossus, SEDS’s mobile rocket engine test stand, conducting the second firing of our Ignus-II Engine, this time for the full 11-second burn duration!
Because of the igniter design, we hard-started the engine, and because of a procedural error we ran slightly fuel rich for the burn. More details to come as we further analyze the data!